For the first time in history, more people live in cities than in rural communities. In 2014, 54% of the world’s population lived in urban areas. The number of people living in these areas is estimated to amount to 6.4 billion ye
Why do people move to the city?
- War and violence
- Get a better job
- Being close to family and friends
- Natural disaster and climate change
Facts about migration
- In 2015, there were 250 million international migrants around the world
- 60 per cent move to a country that is similar to the one left behind in terms of development.
- The most common countries to which people emigrate are USA, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Russia and the United Arab Emirates
- People with higher education migrate more than people with lower education